Gamers know that performance matters. When you’re playing fast-paced and graphics-heavy games, you won’t get a second chance to recover from a sluggish response or unresponsive controls. Are Gaming Laptops Worth It?
If anyone is interested in a mobile device that can do gaming and perform other works in the current digital world, automatically the best device should be a laptop. A laptop is very convenient and its absolutely worth your money.
You can’t react quickly enough if your laptop doesn’t respond in time, and you can’t hit the right buttons if they don’t register your clicks.
To be a successful gamer, you need a machine that meets your needs as precisely as possible so that you have every advantage when playing.
We often recommend gaming on desktop PCs for this exact reason, but for those who prefer to game on the go, gaming laptops are an excellent option.
Here is everything you need to know about these machines and whether they might be worth it for your specific needs.
Related Article: How Much Do Gaming Laptops Cost?
Are Gaming Laptops Worth It?
A gaming laptop is worth it if you need a powerful machine for gaming and work and are always on the move. The machine is more portable as compared to gaming PCs but is also more powerful than standard computers and thus is excellent for gaming.
You should note that gaming laptops are more expensive than standard laptops since they contain high-performance hardware components such as the CPU, GPU, Storage, and cooling system.
The high-performance processor enables you to perform numerous tasks at once. Thus, a gaming laptop will enable you to conduct your daily tasks in a breeze but also enjoy gaming every time and everywhere.
You should note that the gaming laptop can tend to overheat due to the high-performance parts and the intense activities that they need to conduct. Therefore, you will need to check the cooling system to ensure your machine does not overheat. The following are some of the things to look out for in a gaming laptop.
What to look for in a gaming laptop?
There is obviously a wide range of gaming laptops out there, but not all of them are built for gaming. Here are some features to look for in a gaming laptop to ensure you get the best machine for your gaming needs. Processor and RAM.
- Processor – The processor is more important in a gaming laptop than in a traditional laptop. It will determine how quickly your games load and how smoothly they run. In general, the higher end, the better. More cores are better and speed is always important. For example, an Intel i7-8700K is a great gaming chip, but is also significantly more expensive than a lower-end i5-8400.
- Graphics card – The graphics card is a very important component in a gaming laptop. It will determine how well your laptop can handle both high-end and visually demanding games. You’ll want a 10-series or higher GPU like a GTX or RTX.
- Cooling system – The cooling system is important because if your laptop overheats, your entire gaming session can be ruined. You don’t want your laptop to shut down in the middle of your game, and you don’t want to risk damage to your machine’s internal components. Generally, the better the cooling system, the more expensive the laptop will be.
- Connectivity – Depending on how you want to use your laptop, the connectivity options might be important. If you plan to game online, you’ll need a reliable internet connection. If you plan to game online, you’ll need a reliable internet connection. A wired connection is the best way to ensure you have a powerful and consistent internet connection.
- RAM – RAM is also important, though 8 GB is enough for most games, and 16 GB is ideal if you’re playing in 4K or with multiple high-end applications open at once.
Should you buy a gaming laptop?
If gaming is one of your primary activities, then yes, you should absolutely look into getting a gaming laptop. You’ll generally get much better performance from a GPU like a GTX or RTX, and you’ll be able to get higher frame rates for smoother gameplay.
Gaming laptops are generally more expensive than traditional laptops, often costing upwards of $1,500. They are also typically bulkier and heavier, which makes them less portable than your typical laptop.
While gaming laptops are certainly not perfect, they have become much more powerful in recent years and are an excellent option for serious gamers.
When deciding whether or not a gaming laptop is right for you, you should first consider if you’re even a suitable candidate for such a machine.
Gaming laptops are designed for people who want to play games on the go, after all. If you aren’t planning on leaving your home very often, you may not need a gaming laptop.
If you do decide gaming laptops are the right choice for you, you should keep in mind that they’re not one-size-fits-all. You’ll want to make sure you find the right machine for your specific needs.
There are many excellent gaming laptops on the market, but you should definitely do your research and pick one that fits your unique situation.
Who Should Buy a Gaming Laptop?
Are you a hardcore gamer who needs a large amount of processing power? Do you travel often and want a machine you can easily take with you?
Are you an artist who wants to use their computer as a workstation? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then a gaming laptop might be right for you.
Just be aware that gaming laptops aren’t for everyone. If you primarily use your computer for work or school, you’ll want a traditional laptop with a less-powerful graphics card.
Similarly, if you want the portability of a laptop, but don’t really care about gaming, a gaming laptop isn’t for you.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy a Cheap Gaming Laptop
As we mentioned earlier, gaming laptops are generally more expensive than standard laptops. While this isn’t always a bad thing, you should be careful not to overspend just to get a powerful machine.
If you buy a gaming laptop that is too powerful for your needs, you’ll be wasting money. You don’t need a top-of-the-line laptop to play most modern games at medium or high settings.
Save the extra money and get a system that better suits your needs.
Because gaming laptops are more expensive than traditional laptops, you’ll want to be careful not to overspend. Be sure not to overinvest in a gaming laptop.
If you do decide to spend money on a gaming laptop, make sure you buy one that is powerful enough to meet your needs. You’ll also want to make sure the laptop has enough space for the graphics card you want to use. Gaming laptops are expensive and powerful machines.
If you get a cheap gaming laptop, it won’t be able to run most modern games smoothly. You’ll constantly experience lagging and unresponsive controls.
You’ll be frustrated and disappointed with your gaming experience. You’ll be better off saving up for a more powerful gaming laptop than wasting money on a cheap one.
Why You Should Buy a Mid-Range Gaming Laptop
If you are looking to get a gaming laptop, but you don’t want to spend thousands of dollars, you might want to consider getting a mid-range gaming laptop.
These computers have powerful components, but they cost less than high-end laptops. They’re also generally lighter, more portable, and have better battery life than high-end laptops.
If you have a smaller budget but still want a powerful machine, mid-range gaming laptops are a great option.
If you want to get the most out of your gaming experience without breaking the bank, a mid-range gaming laptop is the way to go.
You’ll be able to experience powerful gaming without spending thousands of dollars. If you want the best gaming experience for less, a mid-range laptop is the best option.
Mid-range gaming laptops are powerful enough to run modern games smoothly. They also have enough space for a good graphics card. You won’t have to worry about lagging or unresponsive controls.
You’ll be able to enjoy gaming on the go and at home without spending too much money.
The Benefits of Gaming Laptops
- Great for gaming – Gaming laptops are designed for gaming and will generally outperform traditional laptops when it comes to raw processing power and graphical ability.
- Better cooling – Gaming laptops generally have better and more effective cooling systems than standard laptops. This means they can run at full capacity for longer periods of time without overheating.
- Multi-use – Because they are powerful, gaming laptops can also be used as workstations, especially if you pair them with an external GPU.
As we’ve already discussed, gaming laptops have a number of benefits. They’re portable, they’re powerful, and they’re extremely convenient.
But there are a few other benefits you might not have considered. For starters, gaming laptops are typically cheaper than their desktop equivalents.
This is because you can usually get a higher-end laptop for less money if you buy it as a gaming laptop. And all laptops generally offer more portability than desktops.
While desktop computers can certainly be moved from room to room, they aren’t as easy to take with you on the go. However, gaming laptops are small enough to be carried almost anywhere.
You’ll also have the advantage of not having to worry as much about heat. Desktop computers can get quite hot, which can be dangerous and also makes them noisy.
The Downsides of Gaming Laptops
- They are generally less portable than traditional laptops. Even the most portable gaming laptops still tend to be larger and heavier than standard laptops.
- They are much more expensive than standard laptops. Because they come with beefier components, gaming laptops tend to be more expensive than their traditional counterparts. This can make it harder for casual gamers on a budget to get top-notch hardware.
- They are built for gaming, which means they likely won’t be as efficient for work, school, or other non-gaming tasks as traditional laptops.
- They have shorter lifespans, they don’t last as long on a charge, they’re louder, they generate more heat, they’re less portable, and they have smaller hard drives.
- Additionally, gaming laptops have less-extensive warranty periods than standard laptops. This means that if your laptop goes out of commission, you’ll have less time to get it repaired or replaced.
Which Brands Are Worth Your Money?
Dell, HP, and Lenovo are all well-known computer brands. While they are not exclusively gaming laptop manufacturers, many of their models are well-suited to gaming.
There are a few brands that consistently produce high-quality gaming laptops. If you want the best gaming laptop for your money, be sure to check out these brands:
- ASUS ROG is a very high-end gaming laptop line, and its systems are generally well-reviewed. ASUS is also known for offering excellent customer service and support. ASUS is a trusted and reliable brand that offers a wide range of gaming laptops for every price point. If you’re looking for a budget gaming laptop, you’ll want to look at ASUS.
- Alienware is another high-end gaming laptop brand worth looking at. Its computers are more expensive than the average gaming laptop, but they are also more powerful.
- MSI: If you’re looking to put some money behind your gaming experience, you’ll want to look at MSI. They offer powerful gaming laptops that are sure to please even the most discerning gamer.
- Dell: Another trusted brand with a wide variety of gaming laptops at multiple price points.
- Acer: If you want a budget gaming laptop, you can’t go wrong with Acer. They offer powerful machines at great prices.
Is a gaming laptop better than normal?
Gaming laptops can certainly be faster than their standard laptop counterparts, but they are not necessarily stronger in every other way.
While gaming laptops are often equipped with more powerful graphics cards and better cooling systems, they often have weaker processors (which you may need for certain tasks, like video editing).
They may also have fewer ports, smaller hard drives, and less RAM than an equally priced standard laptop. Most importantly, gaming laptops are more expensive than standard laptops, so you’ll have to decide if the added cost is worth the performance boost for your specific needs.
For many gamers, a gaming laptop is well worth it, but for others, a standard laptop can meet their needs just as well at a (somewhat) lower cost.
Do gaming laptops last long?
Gaming laptops will last as long as their parts are in working condition and the machine is maintained. We can’t say for certain how long any one gaming laptop will last because every machine will break down and experience wear and tear at a different rate.
One thing that gaming laptops do not have in their favor is a long lifespan on a single charge. Gaming laptops are designed to run at very high performance, and that often requires a lot of energy.
This means that even if a gaming laptop runs for a longer time on a single charge than a standard laptop, it will probably die sooner after being plugged in.
Another factor that contributes to shorter lifespans is that gaming laptops are often used at louder volumes than normal laptops.
This is because gamers often prefer to use headsets or other audio equipment that amplifies sound so that they can hear it better. Loud sounds, however, can wear down the machine and its internal parts more quickly.
Can gaming laptops be used for work?
Gaming laptops are not made for anything other than gaming. But even if you just want to do general office work and web browsing, gaming laptops are not the best choice.
While gaming laptops are powerful, they are designed for handling specific tasks.
The processors, RAM, and graphics cards on most gaming laptops are not ideal for general computing. A gaming laptop will likely struggle with anything other than gaming.
That being said, if you just need to do basic things like check email and write papers, you can probably get away with using a gaming laptop.
Just be aware that you’ll sacrifice performance in other areas, and that you’ll probably have a less enjoyable and convenient experience.
Do gaming laptops overheat?
Yes, gaming laptops can overheat. If they run too long at high temperatures, they may experience glitches, shut themselves off, or even break down completely.
To reduce the risk of overheating, you can purchase cooling pads and other accessories, but it’s also worth keeping an eye on temperatures.
You can check a laptop’s internal temperatures by opening up its settings or a monitoring program. If your laptop’s temperature appears to be too high, you can try to reduce it by adjusting your settings.
You can also run your laptop on a surface that doesn’t retain heat, such as a wooden table, rather than on your lap.
Can gaming damage laptops?
Unfortunately, gaming laptops are more likely to break down than non-gaming laptops, but you can reduce your chances of experiencing issues by taking care of your machine.
Make sure to clean your laptop regularly, especially the fan and vents. Dust and other small particles can build up in these areas and cause damage, so it’s important to keep them clean.
You can use compressed air to remove dust from vents and a laptop cleaning kit to wipe down the rest of the machine. It’s also a good idea to flip your laptop over every few months to remove dust on the bottom.
You should also keep an eye on your machine’s internal temperatures. You can use a monitoring program to keep tabs on temperatures or just keep an eye on the machine while it’s running.
If the temperature becomes too high, you can try adjusting your settings or using external cooling devices.
Are gaming laptops good for school?
Yes, gaming laptops can be used for school. Just be aware that gaming laptops are less reliable than non-gaming laptops, so you may have to spend more time troubleshooting problems and getting them fixed.
If you’re worried about breaking your laptop, it might make sense to get a standard laptop instead. In many cases, gaming laptops will be powerful enough for school tasks, but they may not have the same computing power as non-gaming laptops.
You can get the same or similar performance out of a non-gaming laptop for a lower price. You’ll also be less likely to run into issues, which can be frustrating if you’re in a rush.
Gaming laptops can also be noisy, so they aren’t ideal for quiet environments. Additionally, gaming laptops often have fewer ports than standard laptops, which can make it more difficult to get work done.
And gaming laptops are usually heavier and less portable than a non-gaming laptop
Gaming laptops are more powerful than traditional laptops, but are they more powerful than desktops?
Yes and no. Gaming laptops are designed for gaming, so they generally have slightly more powerful components than traditional laptops. However, gaming laptops are generally less powerful than desktop computers.
How do you use a gaming laptop?
Gaming laptops can be used for a wide variety of things. Depending on the type of laptop you get, you can use it for gaming, work, school, and more
Is it possible to build your own gaming laptop?
Yes, you can definitely build your own gaming laptop! However, it will generally be cheaper to buy a gaming laptop.
What’s the difference between laptops and notebooks?
Generally speaking, laptops are smaller and more portable than notebooks. They generally have smaller screens and less capacity for storage.
What’s the difference between integrated graphics and discrete graphics?
Integrated graphics are built into the laptop. They’re not very powerful and are usually used for basic tasks like word processing and web browsing. Discrete graphics cards are powerful graphics cards that are used for gaming. They’re not built into the machine and are generally larger than integrated graphics cards.