Building your own gaming PC can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but it’s not for everyone. If you’re reading this article, chances are you’ve already decided that building your own PC is the way to go. Should You Build or Buy Your First Gaming PC?
Building a PC will actually save you money in the long run, because you will likely not need to replace or repair components as often as with a pre-built one. Easier to Fix. When a component fails inside a PC you built, it is easier to identify because you are more familiar with each part.
However, there are also plenty of people who prefer to buy pre-built PCs instead of putting one together themselves.
It largely depends on what kind of person you are, your budget, and how much time you have available to invest in a new hobby.
Let’s take a look at some pros and cons of building vs buying your first gaming PC.
Related Article: Do I need a Hard Drive for my Gaming PC?
Why Build Your Own PC?
There are plenty of reasons why building your own PC is a better choice compared to buying a pre-built one. These include
- Better Performance: When you build your own gaming PC, you have full control over every component inside it. This lets you choose exactly which parts you want for your specific needs and budget. This lets you create a gaming PC that is tailored to your exact needs and can outperform a pre-built PC in many cases.
- More Affordable: Pre-built PCs can be expensive, even when you buy one that is within your budget. They can also be less powerful than a similarly priced custom PC. With a custom PC, you can get exactly what you need without spending money on features you don’t.
- More Resale Value: If you plan on upgrading your PC in the future, you don’t want to be stuck with a PC that can’t be easily modified. Building your own PC gives you full control over its design so you can make future upgrades easy.
- More Control: Building a PC gives you full control over every aspect of it, from what parts you choose to how you assemble it. This lets you create the exact type of PC you want without having to compromise.
- More Satisfying to Build: Building your own PC is a fun hobby that lets you be creative and learn new things. This can be especially rewarding if you use parts that are rare or expensive.
Why Buy a Pre-Built Gaming PC?
Pre-built gaming PCs can be a good choice if you don’t have the time or patience to build your own PC. They are also a good choice if you don’t have the budget to build your own PC with high-end components.
However, be careful when buying a pre-built PC. Make sure the specs are enough for your gaming needs and check for any reviews online to see what other people think about the PC.
Pre-built PCs are a good choice if you:
- Don’t have the Time to Build Your Own PC: Building a PC from scratch can take several hours. This is especially true if you’re building a high-end PC and want to make sure you do it right. Pre-built PCs can be quickly assembled and are often ready to use right out of the box.
- Don’t have the Skills to Build Your Own PC: Not everyone has the time or skill level to build their own PC. If you don’t have any experience with building PCs, you may want to consider buying one pre-built instead of spending hours trying to figure out how to build one.
- Need a PC Right Now: Building a PC takes time, especially if you want to do it right and make sure you choose the best parts for your budget. If you need a gaming PC right now and don’t want to wait for it to be built, you’ll have to buy a pre-built PC instead.
- Budget Doesn’t Allow for Custom Parts: Pre-built gaming PCs are often cheaper than similarly powerful custom PCs. This is because pre-built PCs use cheaper components to bring the price down. They may not last as long or perform as well in the long run, but they can be an affordable option for someone on a tight budget.
- Pre-built PCs come with warranties too: This is definitely a nice bonus if something goes wrong. Moreover, you’ll also have access to support if anything goes wrong with your new PC.
Pre-built gaming PCs come with some serious advantages over custom builds. One of the biggest advantages is the ease of setup. Simply take it out of the box, plug it in, and you’re ready to go. Custom PC builds often require a lot of tedious cable management, which can be a hassle if you’re not familiar with PC building.
Pre-built PCs often have better cooling systems than custom builds, which can help you avoid overheating issues.
Pre-built PCs may come with higher quality parts such as better RAM, solid-state hard drives, and gaming-grade graphics cards. You’ll also have access to support if anything goes wrong with your new PC.
What You’ll Need To Build Your Own PC
If you decide to go the route of building your own PC, you’ll need to get some tools and parts. Here’s what you’ll need to get started.
- PC Parts – These are the core components of your PC and can include things like the motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, cooling, and more. You can buy pre-built PC parts or build them yourself. If you choose to build them yourself, you’ll need to buy the right tools to do so.
- A Place to Build – Before you start building your PC, you’ll need to choose a place to do it. You can do this at home on a table or in an open space where you have plenty of room to work and a power outlet nearby. Alternatively, you can also take it to an online PC builder. If you do this, you don’t have to worry about finding a place to build it and can just focus on putting it together correctly.
- A Build Plan – Building a PC isn’t as straightforward as putting all the parts together. You need a detailed plan that includes all the parts you want to use and where they go inside the PC. You can find a PC building plan online and follow it step by step to build your PC correctly.
What should I buy first when building a PC?
The first component you should purchase when building a new PC is a motherboard. The motherboard is one of the most important parts when building a new computer, so it’s best to purchase it first.
Once you have a motherboard, you can begin purchasing the other components you need for your build. Depending on the type of build you’re doing, you may want to purchase your CPU and processor next.
You can then purchase RAM, storage, a graphics card, and other necessary components based on your build
Is building a gaming PC hard?
One thing’s for certain: the process of building a gaming PC is definitely not for everyone. Some people have the spare time, patience, and money to spend on building their own PC, while others don’t.
Of course, if you’re reading this, you’re probably one of the people who would prefer to build their own PC. But is it really as hard as people think it is?
Building a gaming PC isn’t hard. Building a PC isn’t as hard as people think, especially when broken down into manageable steps. The most important thing you can do is research your parts. That way, you know you’re buying quality hardware that will last you a good few years.
When you break the build down, it’s far from hard. Essentially, your build depends on a few key decisions, such as which processor is right for you, how much RAM you need, and what type of graphics card you’re looking for.
There are countless different PC build guides available online – along with countless different PC parts guides. You might even find PC build videos on YouTube that walk you through the entire process.
Is it harder to build a gaming PC than a regular computer?
Building a gaming PC is often more time-consuming than building a regular computer, but it isn’t necessarily harder.
The main difference between building a gaming PC and a regular computer is the number of components you have to choose from.
Building a regular computer may only require a few parts, but building a gaming PC requires a lot more parts. While building a gaming PC may seem daunting at first, it really isn’t that difficult.
You can easily find PC building guides and walkthroughs on the internet that will walk you through the entire process.
The Pros of Building Your Own PC
There are many reasons why building your own PC is better than buying a pre-built gaming PC. Below are a few of the main advantages.
- Full Control Over Components: When you build your own PC, you have full control over which components go inside it. This lets you choose the best parts for your budget and specific needs. This also gives you the option to upgrade parts in the future without needing to buy a new PC.
- Better Performance: When you build your PC to meet your exact needs, you can choose higher-end components that outperform cheaper pre-built parts. This can give you performance comparable to much more expensive pre-built PCs.
- Better Resale Value: If you ever decide to sell your PC or upgrade it in the future, a custom PC will have better resale value compared to a pre-built PC. This lets you get more money when selling your PC or trading it in.
- More Customization: Building your own PC lets you customize it in any way you want. You can choose the right color scheme, add your own artistic touches, and select your preferred OS. You can even add a custom water cooling setup for better performance.
The Cons of Building Your Own PC
Building your own PC does have its drawbacks. Some people decide not to build their own PC because these cons scare them away. If you’re considering building your own PC, make sure you’re aware of these potential issues.
- Time and Effort Needed: Building a PC can be a lengthy process that requires plenty of research and effort. You’ll need to make sure each part is compatible, avoid any mistakes during the build, and know-how to troubleshoot any issues that may come up.
- Risk of Electrical Damage: Electricity can be dangerous, and you need to be careful when building your PC. You don’t want to accidentally shock yourself with a loose wire or short circuit your PC. You can avoid this by reading the instructions carefully and only touching the parts when you need to.
- Risk of Parts Being Incorrectly Assembled: If you decide to build your PC with parts that you buy online instead of building it yourself, you risk getting the wrong parts. It’s better to build your PC with parts that you purchase yourself to avoid accidentally getting the wrong parts.
Is it better to build or buy a PC 2022?
This really depends on your specific needs and preferences.
If you have the time, patience, and knowledge to build your own PC, then by all means go ahead with a custom build. Otherwise, a pre-built PC could be a good option if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of building your own system.
Pre-built PCs come with a variety of hardware options, so you can easily find one that meets your needs and budget.
Pre-built PCs are often more expensive than building your own system, but they come with more convenience. Pre-built PCs also come with a few advantages that you won’t get with a custom build.
Pre-built PCs often come with better cooling systems than custom builds, which can help you avoid overheating issues.
Pre-built PCs also often come with better warranties than custom builds, which can help protect you from issues that may arise down the road.
Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Gaming PC
There are a few things you need to know before buying a gaming PC. Firstly, make sure you know what kind of PC you want:
Desktop vs laptop: Next, make sure you understand how different PC builds compare to one another. This is where PC Part Picker comes in handy.
PC Part Picker allows you to select the type of PC build you want, and it will show you a list of other compatible parts that are also good for your build.
This lets you see exactly how much each component costs and lets you know if you’re getting a good deal. Another thing you need to do before buying a PC makes sure you have enough room to house it.
Desktop PCs are usually larger than laptops and rely on having plenty of space for their components. It’s also worth noting that if you’re building a PC from scratch, you’ll also need a PC case to house your components.
As you can see, building a gaming PC and buying a pre-built gaming PC are two very different things. Building a PC is a fun and extremely rewarding hobby that anyone can enjoy, regardless of their skill level.
It’s also a great way to save money and create a computer that truly reflects your unique tastes and preferences. That being said, if you don’t have the time or patience to build a PC, buying a pre-built gaming PC is a great option.
These PCs are built using high-end components and are able to run any game on high or max settings at 1080p. They’re also extremely reliable, thanks to their over-the-top cooling systems.
What happens if I get a bad part?
Worst case scenario, you end up with a faulty part that doesn’t work as it should. However, you can usually send faulty parts back to the manufacturer for a refund
What is the average cost of a gaming PC?
This depends on the type of PC you want and how powerful it is. Entry-level gaming PCs can cost as little as $500, while the most expensive PCs can run up to $10,000
What is the best time of year to buy parts for a gaming PC?
The best time of year to buy parts for your PC is during Black Friday and the following months. During this time, you can expect to find huge savings on PC parts.
What should I buy first when building a PC?
When putting your PC together, you should always start with installing your motherboard. This is because the motherboard is the core of your PC, and it needs to be installed first.
Once you’ve got your motherboard in place, you can move on to installing your CPU and RAM. Next, you want to install your GPU. And finally, you can install your storage device(s) before completing the rest of the build.
Is it cheaper to buy a prebuilt PC 2022?
Custom PC builds are often cheaper in the long run than purchasing a pre-built PC. Pre-built PCs are often more expensive than building your own system, but they do come with a few benefits.
You may find that a pre-built PC is cheaper than building your own system if you’re just looking to run basic tasks like internet browsing, email, and typing up documents.
Pre-built PCs can be cheaper than building your own system if you’re just looking for a basic computer. However, if you’re looking to run the latest PC games, you may have to spend more to get the right parts for a pre-built PC.